Hello
I have an M18 provisional driving license that expires next month. already passed a new theory test, so want to switch my card before my M18 expires.
Which option makes more sense to switch to right now: M12 or M36? Are there any extra conditions with these licenses before taking the practical road test? (Minimum waiting or logbook?) Anything important I should know before choosing one?
Would appreciate any help from people who went through this.
M18 to M36 in Brussels
-
bert.covens
- Berichten: 4824
- Lid geworden op: 13 sep 2009, 10:11
- Locatie: hemiksem
Re: M18 to M36 in Brussels
In Brussels region (Schaarbeek or Anderlecht).
first option:
You can either switch to an M36, as long as your current provisional driving license M18 is still valid.
Second option :
When your driving license M18 is expired, there still 2 possibilies:
Hours completed before the expiration date of your current provisional driving license M18, are not valid.
You already passed your theory exam again, so that's already OK.
Please also read this link:
https://be.brussels/en/transport-mobili ... -licence-b
And please be advised that all the above, is valid in the Brussels region (Anderlecht or Schaarbeek).
In Flanders, the rules are slightly different
first option:
You can either switch to an M36, as long as your current provisional driving license M18 is still valid.
Second option :
When your driving license M18 is expired, there still 2 possibilies:
- Take at least 6 hours of practical lessons at a driving school and then apply for a new provisional driving license M12.
- Or take at least 6 hours of practical lessons at a driving school and then take the practical exam directly with the driving school. Please note: Every time you fail the practical exam and wish to take it with an expired driving license, you must take at least 6 hours of practical lessons at a driving school again.
Hours completed before the expiration date of your current provisional driving license M18, are not valid.
You already passed your theory exam again, so that's already OK.
Please also read this link:
https://be.brussels/en/transport-mobili ... -licence-b
And please be advised that all the above, is valid in the Brussels region (Anderlecht or Schaarbeek).
In Flanders, the rules are slightly different
Goed autorijden, betekent vooral ook aan anderen denken
-
Wafflefire
- Berichten: 2
- Lid geworden op: 10 dec 2025, 18:04
Re: M18 to M36 in Brussels
Hello,
Thank you for the feedback on the question. So I'll be switching to M36, are there any other conditions that I need to take into account?
Can I possibly just book the practical test with no additional documents at the day of exam with M36? ( Apart from M36, risk perception, red cross)
Thank you for the feedback on the question. So I'll be switching to M36, are there any other conditions that I need to take into account?
Can I possibly just book the practical test with no additional documents at the day of exam with M36? ( Apart from M36, risk perception, red cross)
-
bert.covens
- Berichten: 4824
- Lid geworden op: 13 sep 2009, 10:11
- Locatie: hemiksem
Re: M18 to M36 in Brussels
Legislation varies considerably from region to region in Belgium.Wafflefire schreef: 11 dec 2025, 09:00 Hello,
Thank you for the feedback on the question. So I'll be switching to M36, are there any other conditions that I need to take into account?
Can I possibly just book the practical test with no additional documents at the day of exam with M36? ( Apart from M36, risk perception, red cross)
Therefore, I would recommend you to contact the examination center :
https://www.securiteautomobile.be/PC
or
https://www.autocontrole.be/nl/rijbewijs
And you can also find a lot of information here:
https://be.brussels/fr/transport-mobili ... son-permis
They can certainly help you with any further questions, and give you correct information.
Goed autorijden, betekent vooral ook aan anderen denken




