Crossing for Pedestrains

Plaats hier andere vragen die niet meteen met de leerstof te maken hebben.
Pritchett

Crossing for Pedestrains

Bericht door Pritchett »

Hi,
I had my first exam for driving license type B last week. It didn't go well :(
I'm planning to give it a second shot next week and here i'm trying to clear my confusions:

Question: A junction with traffic lights(light is green) and a pedestrian standing at the right. Instead of the usual Zebra crossing (equally spaced, same length white stripes) there are stripes like we see on speed humps. Will you give a priority for the pedestrian?
de rijprof
Medewerker
Contacteer:

Re: Crossing for Pedestrains

Bericht door de rijprof »

No, the traffic lights rules the priority. You have green light and the pedestrian has red light.
http://www.derijprof.be - Zoekend kijken, doet je veiliger en vlotter rijden
Jozef
Medewerker

Re: Crossing for Pedestrains

Bericht door Jozef »

Even if there is a "zebra crossing", you don't have to give priority to the pedestrian who wants to cross the street when he has a red traffic light.

However, you have to be very careful:
  • According to article 7.1 of the traffic regulations, you are not allowed to endanger so called "weak road users", like pedestrians and cyclists, and especially not children, elderly people and disbled persons, and you have to be twice as careful when such people are on the road or you can anticipate their presence on the road.
  • Many pedestrians don't care about a red traffic light, and they underestimate your speed and your distance. Many "weak road users" are even convinced that they have always and everywhere the priority, and they will insult, if not attack you if you don't think so.
  • If an adult doesn't hold a child at his hand, the child may suddenly cross the street. You really don't want to collide with a child, as it is extremely dificult and long lasting to process such an event.
  • Juridically, the problem is that, most of the time, you cannot prove that the traffic light for the pedestrian was red.
    Let me illustrate this with an example. A police officer had a green traffic light, when a car came from the right. The police officer noticed in his statement that the other driver had a red traffic light. The judge reprimanded the police officer, telling him: "You think that the other driver had a red traffic light, because you had a green traffic light. However, you were unable to see that other traffic light, so you don't know if the other driver had a red traffic light. You have to notice in your statements only what you observed; what you thought is really of no interest at all." Therefore, the other driver was discharged.
Plaats reactie