Vragen over de leerstof i.v.m. het Rijbewijs B.
Sandhya Singh

Bericht door Sandhya Singh »

Lane reduction on the left:
As per book, whenever there is a lane reduction, drivers on the free lane must give way.
But in the answer for this question, it states that the driver on the free lane has priority of right.

What is the correct answer?
GRO
Administrator

Re: 8268

Bericht door GRO »

Afbeelding
This is the image of question 8268.
I don't understand your question.
Jozef
Medewerker

Bericht door Jozef »

This has nothing to do with lane reduction, as there are no lanes. The left car is overtaking the right car. You have to know whether overtaking is allowed on a guarded railway crossing.
kkrasnas

Bericht door kkrasnas »

I think the question 8491 was the one asked about. True, the brown car there is coming from the right, BUT in chapter 2 we read that with lane closure zipping is obligatory and the drivers on the free lane must give way. The question, on the other hand, is talking about priority from the right and says that the driver on the free lane has priority.
So which is it? Basically, the question is: do we have to zip here and does the priority rule apply while zipping?
GRO
Administrator

Bericht door GRO »

"BUT in chapter 2 we read that with lane closure zipping is obligatory and the drivers on the free lane must give way...."

It is important that several cars are approaching the road narrowing (traffic jam). In that case zipping is obligatory.
In this case (8268) there is not slow traffic, because there are only two cars.
kkrasnas

Bericht door kkrasnas »

Thank you, it was not very clear from the book but now I get it!
Gast

Bericht door Gast »

So just to be 100% sure, in the question 8491 (by the way, the image of that example is NOT the one the user GRO shared), where there is a CAR "A" and a CAR "B" , and one of the lanes is reduced, the car whose lane is not reduced, has priority?

For me this was confusing as in chapter 2 it said that in this case the zipping rule must be taking place, and in any part of chapter 2 or 20 nor in the excercise was mentioned that zipping is only mandatory if there is more than X cars.

Thanks in advance!
Rafael
Administrator

Bericht door Rafael »

There are 3 conditions required before zipping applies:
  1. Multiple lanes
  2. One lane closes
  3. Very slow traffic
In Q 8491, condition 3 is missing so zipping does not apply.
Gast

Bericht door Gast »

Understood now. thanks!!
HLI

Bericht door HLI »

Hi,

I have a similar question regarding 8673. According to your explanation Car A should have priority?

But the answer is B.

Could you elaborate it?

Thank you.
HLI

Bericht door HLI »

If it is possible could you please post the picture of 8491?
I remember I have seen this question before. If I am not wrong, the only difference between 8491 and 8673 might be the side of the lane reduction.
Inazuma

Bericht door Inazuma »

HLI schreef: 12 aug 2023, 20:52 I have a similar question regarding 8673. According to your explanation Car A should have priority?
But the answer is B.
Don't apply the same answer to a different situation ...
The trouble is recognising the actual situation you're in - not always easy, as this has gotten far too complicated due to various legislation and court rulings.

Afbeelding

In this case you'd expect car A to have priority, as it's continuing in the same lane
B wants to change lanes : a manoeuvre normally requiring a driver to yield.

However ...

The Court of Cassation has ruled that when a driver follows the far right side of the road, and is forced to the left by traffic signs, he does NOT perform a manoeuvre, and on the contrary, he even has priority from the right :!:

This turns what you'd expect upside down
And few people realise it

Notes:

1) this does not apply to motorway on-ramps where you'll find similar road markings, as priority there is arranged by the priority signs, forcing the oncoming driver to yield to traffic already on the motorway.

2) without priority signs, and in case of severely impeded traffic, you'll need to apply the zipper principle here
Inazuma

Bericht door Inazuma »

HLI schreef: 12 aug 2023, 20:55 If it is possible could you please post the picture of 8491?
I remember I have seen this question before. If I am not wrong, the only difference between 8491 and 8673 might be the side of the lane reduction.
It is

Afbeelding

Same situation, but left land ends
In that case driver A changes lanes, but he doesn't follow the right side of the road, and so has to yield to B (the normal principle when changing lanes)

Well, as long as you're not into zipper-conditions (Multiple lanes + One lane closes + Very slow traffic) ...
HLI

Bericht door HLI »

Thank you for the explanation!

Now it is clear for me :).
HLI

Bericht door HLI »

Hi, I came across question 8284.

Can you explain why the blue car is allowed to overtake the red one on the left?

The red car should have priority, right?

Thanks.
Plaats reactie