Driving license

Vragen over de leerstof i.v.m. het Rijbewijs B.
janirefer

Driving license

Bericht door janirefer »

Hello,

I would like to get my driver's license in Flanders. I do not know how the process works very well, I know that I have to do the theorical exam first and then I could practice with the car in a driving school (if I pass the theorical exam). Once this, I have to do the practical exam and if I approve it, do I get a provisional license? When could I get the official license?

Another thing that I would like to ask is that if I can take the exam at any time, since I am from Spain. I have asked for the theorical exam and I could do it the following month, but after that, if I want to take the practical exam. Can I do it at any time? Or do I have to prove that I am living in Flanders?

Greetings,
Inazuma

Re: Driving license

Bericht door Inazuma »

Getting your driver's licence in Flanders may not be your best option.

Are you residing here officially ?
Otherwise you won't be able to get a Belgian licence.

Then, there's at least a 9 month waiting (well, practicing) period between getting your provisional licence and the practical examination.

If that'll work for you, we can go deeper into the options to get a driver's licence in Flanders.
janirefer

Bericht door janirefer »

Thank you for your quick response.

I am residing here officially, that's why I think my only option is to take my driving lessons in Flanders.

Could you explain what is the meaning of obtaining a provisional license? In Spain you must pass the practical test to obtain the provisional license, and therefore be able to drive alone. In Flanders is the same process?

Thanks for your help.
Inazuma

Bericht door Inazuma »

janirefer schreef: 24 nov 2017, 09:30 I am residing here officially, that's why I think my only option is to take my driving lessons in Flanders.
OK
Could you explain what is the meaning of obtaining a provisional license? In Spain you must pass the practical test to obtain the provisional license, and therefore be able to drive alone. In Flanders is the same process?
No.
The process here is

Learn the theory (by yourself or in an official driving school)

Take the theoretical exam
If you fail the test 2 times you MUST take theory lessons @ a driving school.
If you pass you can apply for a provisional licence

The provisional licence has 2 options :

1) Follow at least 20 hours of driving lessons @ an official driving school (before applying for this provisional licence), in order to be allowed to practice on your own for up to 18 months.
(You will need someone with a valid licence B for at least 8 years & officially living in Belgium, to accompany you to the practical exam, or hire a car & instructor from the driving school )

2) If you have someone who can teach you how to drive - we call them "begeleider" in dutch - you can apply for a provisional licence right after the theoretical exam.
This licence is valid for 36 months, but the "begeleider" needs to be with you at all times.
You may have either 1 or 2 "begeleiders".

This person who'll teach you to drive (begeleider) must be registered on your provisional licence.
He or she :
- MUST follow a 3 hour instruction course (20 € - you may go along for free) before being allowed to accompany you
Dates and places :
https://www.zoekeenrijschool.be/events/ ... ategory=70

- MUST live in Belgium (i.e. must be eligible for a Belgian Driving licence)
- MUST have had a valid licence B for at least 8 years
- MAY NOT be banned from driving, or have been banned from driving during the last 3 years (by court order)
- MUST accompany you during the practical exam as well

Practice, practice, practice, ...

Take the practical exam - at least 9 months after obtaining your provisional licence.

You must take the practical exam
- while your provisional licence B is still valid
- within 3 years after passing the theoretical exam (if not, you must retake the theoretical first)

You can swap your provisional licence B to the other option
- while it's still valid
- within 3 years after taking the theory exam
- after taking the required 20 hours of schooling when you're changing to the selfdrive / 18 months option

You can not extend the validity of a provisional licence.
If you don't pass the practical exam before your provisional licence expires, you can't get a new one during the next 3 years.
In that case, you must learn and practice with a driving school if you want to obtain a licence B.
(We've been expecting that this rule would be abolished, but it still remains ...)

Thanks for your help.
You're welcome
Plaats reactie