Lane reduction from the right

Vragen over de leerstof i.v.m. het Rijbewijs B.
Pritchett

Lane reduction from the right

Bericht door Pritchett »

Hi,
I had my first exam for driving license type B last week. It didn't go well :(
I'm planning to give it a second shot next week and here i'm trying to clear my confusions:

Question: Driving on a highway with more than two lanes on your direction. Let us say you are driving on the second lane from the right with few cars behind on the different lanes (we can say a bit congested). And the car on the right lane wants share your lane because the right most lane is marked with diagonal stripes (like the ones we see on traffic displacement area). Will you give it a priority?
de rijprof
Medewerker
Contacteer:

Re: Lane reduction from the right

Bericht door de rijprof »

In this case you must to give way to drivers who come from the right.
http://www.derijprof.be - Zoekend kijken, doet je veiliger en vlotter rijden
Jozef
Medewerker

Re: Lane reduction from the right

Bericht door Jozef »

Normally, a driver who wants to change lane must give way to the drivers who are on the lane he wants to change to.

There is an exception when a lane ends AND the traffic is strongly slowed down (unfortunately, the traffic regulations don't specify with which speed strongly slowed down traffic corresponds). In this case, drivers on the lane which ends are only allowed to change lane at the very end of this lane. There, each driver on the lane which continues must give way to one (and only one) driver on the lane which ends and who therefore changes lane.

In practice, this regulation leads to a lot of problems:
  • a driver on the lane that ends thinks the traffic is strongly slowed down, whereas a driver on the lane that continues doesn't think so, and therefore, he doesn't want to give way.
  • drivers on the lane that ends try already to change lane before the end of the lane, so the lane that ends is not fully used.
  • a driver on the lane that continues ignores that the drivers on the lane that ends have to follow this lane up to the end, he thinks they just want to overtake everybody, and therefore he doesn't want to give way.
  • when you are driving on the lane that continues and you leave distance for a driver on the lane that ends to change lane, more than one driver on the lane that ends try to change lane before you, whereas you have to give way to only one driver.
So be very careful in such a situation.
Plaats reactie